Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself

I am having trouble with the Newsday answer grid today, so I'm just going to post the theme answers. Today's theme is "Fear Not" (by Norma Steinberg). Here are the theme answers:

20A: Warning with no backing: EMPTY THREAT. I found a cartoon that illustrates a good example of an empty threat.



40A: Comics Moppet: DENNIS THE MENACE. This was never my favorite comic strip. And I hated the '50s TV show. No wonder Jay North turned to drugs. He was wearing those stupid overalls and that cowlick at age 12 and reportedly abused by his handlers and onset people.


55A: Pond on the links: WATER HAZARD. The official definition of a water hazard from the USGA is "any sea, lake, pond, river, ditch, surface drainage ditch or other open water course (whether or not containing water) and anything of a similar nature on the course." Since I'm going cartoon-happy today, I may as well post a comic about a water hazard. BTW, I'm not a big fan of golf either.

It's another cryptoquote about fine arts today:

"My love of fine art increased--the more of it I saw, the more of it I wanted to see."--Paul Getty (1892-1876)

As many of us know, J. Paul Getty was an avid collector of art and antiques. He also was married five times and had a pay phone in his mansion! He put a lock on all his regular telephones so visitors wouldn't use them. The actor Balthazar Getty is of course, his great-grandson.

Check out today's Google doodle! There's a total lunar eclipse in South America today.

Not surprisingly, "Spider-Man" got panned. Most of the critics didn't like the music. I love U2, but when Bono and the Edge crash, they do it spectacularly. Such a shame. I did hear they filmed the new "Spider-Man" film in parts of Queens, including Forest Hills.

Well, I'm working on a major project at work, so I will have to sign off.

Till tomorrow,
The Puzzlechick

No comments:

Post a Comment