Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Good or Bad? You Decide

I am slightly behind with the post from Sunday's Puzzle, but here it goes. . . .
Courtesy of makefive.com

The quote acrostic is from Woody Allen: "As I think about it it seems to me that the world is divided into two types: the good people and the bad people. The good ones sleep better at night while the bad ones enjoy the waking hours much more." (Source: To Be Good or Bad).

I don't need to list his all of Mr. Allen's accomplishments as that would take too much time. You can find them in his official Web site (www.WoodyAllen.com). His reputation was briefly damaged by his affair with Mia Farrow's 22-year-old daughter, Soon-Yi Previn. They eventually got married--he was 56 and she was 22! He also is an accomplished clarinet player and I think he plays in the soundtrack to most of his films.

The crossword (by Bruce Venzke) was called "As Seen in the Kitchen." Here are the theme answers:

23A: Fried-chicken coating: BREAD CRUMBS. Here is the link to an easy, 5-step fried-chicken recipe (with video): http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Fried-Chicken.

Courtesy of tvacres.com
25A: Grilled entrées: LAMB CHOPS: Many people don't like lamb chops, but I love the succulent flavor! The key is to pick the right chops and add the proper flavoring. When I think of Lamb Chops, I also think of Shari Lewis's famous puppet (her daughter Mallory now performs with Lamb Chop)



40A: Sandwich accompaniments: PICKLE SPEARS. There is nothing like dill pickles on a hamburger or a sandwich! Although they are loaded with sodium, they are also just 5 calories apiece. Below is the video to  Vlassic commercial from 1983 (courtesy of You Tube):


Courtesy of chocolate.com

50A: Poached fruit servings: PEAR HALVES. When I think of pear halves, I think of those in the can. Yuck! I'd rather have the real thing. They even have dried pears covered with chocolate!

67A: Sweet-and-sour sauce ingredient: PINEAPPLE CHUNKS. I have to admit that sweet-and-sour sauces are not among my favorites. However, I do love pineapple chunks on their own or in a fruit salad. Nothing beats Dole, of course!

88A: Cocktail garnishes: LIME WEDGES. Aaaah, nothing like a lime wedge and a Corona! This custom supposedly goes back to 1981 and supposedly is used to make the beer look more attractive and enhance its flavor.
Courtesy of cartoonstock.com

956A: Crudités displays: CARROT STICKS. My favorite veggie. No explanation necessary. . . . The psychological idiom of "carrot and stick" refers to a policy of offering rewards and punishment to induce behavior.

116A: Salad toppers: BACON BITS. The thought of artificial, dried bacon sort of makes my stomach queasy. Give me the real stuff any day!

118A: Party snacks: POTATO CHIPS. I am a salty snack aficionado. I am very critical when it comes to potato chips. My favorite flavors are  barbecue and jalapeño. I don't like anything cheesy. My favorite brands are Wise, Lays, and Cape Cod. Of course, they are addicting, so I don't eat them very often. A bag of Lay's Baked Crisps usually satisfies my potato-chip cravings.

I'll be back with today's Newsday puzzle and cryptoquote.

Signing off for now,
The Puzzlechick

No comments:

Post a Comment