Thursday, March 13, 2014

Act Like a Tree and Leave

Is that how the old childhood retort went?

Act like a tree and leave
Act like a banana and split
Act like a bee and buzz off!

Trees are the theme of today's puzzle--Forestry 101--by Bruce Sutphin. Today's theme answers weren't too exciting; I couldn't provide much in the way of images.


18A: Doesn't bother (LEAVES ALONE)

26A: Extend one's influence (BRANCHES OUT)

57A: Math calculations (SQUARE ROOTS).

However, here are lovely images of trees that reflect each of the four seasons. I loved climbing trees as a child. When I got older, it meant raking leaves (ugh!) as the leaves fell to the ground after changing color. This would've been a perfect puzzle for Arbor Day. which is April 25 this year. There are several excellent books about trees; just consult Amazon for a list.

We've got quite a few names in the today's puzzle:

10A: Marlon in The Godfather (VITO)
17A: Preparatory NIGHT (EVE)
36A: TV toon troublemaker (BART (as in Simpson))

Alphabet soup:

20A: Wall St. regulator (SEC)
43A: Double-curve shape (ESS)
65A: Quarterback's successes (TDS)

The cryptoquote for today is an old Chinese proverb:

Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck, leads the flock to fly and follow.

This is one of the most famous quotes about leadership. I think the quote is another way of saying "actions speak louder than words." I love Chinese food and collecting the bits of fortune cookie wisdom. Many of the messages are so true. Maybe I should play the numbers that appear on the back of the fortunes. That's how a Bronx woman won $2 million recently. However, I don't play the Lottery unless there's a big prize involved.

I got the correct answer for Puzzle #3 in Muller Monthly Music Meta. The clue for the Meta was "a band that formed in the '90s." The puzzle consisted of a picture of a "fountain" with famous Waynes (Bruce Wayne, Jan Wayne, Lil' Wayne, etc.). At first, I thought they were members' names for a certain band. Then I remembered the song "Stacy's Mom" was by a group beginning with "Fountains" and figured out that it was FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE on a fluke. I think it was a one-hit wonder for this group.Another great puzzle by Pete Muller.



Today's JUMBLE contained a picture of a car accident (uh-oh)! The saying is "After getting into a traffic accident with his wife's care, he was a ______

Word list:

RIHEK = HIKER
KLECR = CLERK
TYPSOT = SPOTTY
EYELAW = LEEWAY

Scrambled answer: KECROTTLWAY
The answer: TOTAL WRECK (that's how I would feel, too!)

We now have the solution  for last week's New York magazine's Vulture puzzle contest. Although I guessed the correct theme answer (PRETTY LITTLE LIARS), but I did not win a year's subscription. I'm now working on this week's puzzle.

Lunchtime is over and it's time to get back to work.

Till tomorrow. . . .

Signing off,
The Puzzlechick




No comments:

Post a Comment