Thursday, March 6, 2014

Strong-Arm Tactics

I'd like to start off today's post with an interview that took place between Amy Reynaldo and a few female crossword constructors regarding their underrepresentation in the puzzle business. It's interesting that there were many more female crossword constructors during the '60s and '70s, and I think these constructors have made some very valid points.

Today's puzzle by David W. Cromer is called "Going Strong," and here are the theme answers:

17A: Physics or geology: HARD SCIENCE. This is a rather colloquial term for the natural sciences. All I know is that they involve a lot of math and complex formulas (yuck!). The "soft sciences" are of a social nature (psychology, sociology, anthropology, etc.). Many people think that the "soft sciences" are not real.

62A: Be helpful, in current slang: DO ONE A SOLID. I've actually never heard this term, which means that I'm living in the Dark Ages, lol.

11D: Wall Street company: MEMBER FIRM. I have yet to see "Wolf of Wall Street" on the big screen, but I read Jason Belfort's memoir. Although he is a total d-bag, I though the book was well-written and humorous. I do remember the Steve Madden stock manipulation scandal, but that didn't stop me from buying his shoes. Portions of the film were filmed at a local diner called The Shalimar, which needs to enter the 21st Century and create a Web site. It's a shame that Leo didn't win AGAIN.

29D: Bit of bad luck: TOUGH BREAK. I was trying to think of famous TV and book characters who are constantly down on their luck. The first one that came to my mind was Schleprock (pictured left) from the "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show" of the early '70s. I felt so bad for him because he was such a nice person.

Alphabet soup: OAS, MCC, PGA. I also had a tough time with 26 Down: Proverbs (OLD SAWS?).

Contest Fever: Here are a couple of ongoing crossword contests to pick your brain:

The first is the Muller Monthly Music Meta, which are cleverly-themed pop-music crosswords. The contest is now in its third year. Contestants have to guess the meta puzzle each month, and there is a mega-meta at the end of the year. The winner gets a free entry to the ACPT. The first year, I got every puzzle right but totally missed the mega-meta. Last year, I wound up dropping out after the seventh puzzle. This year, I'm good so far.

The newest  is Matt Gaffney's Vulture Crossword Contest, where solvers have to guess the puzzle theme. I believe the puzzle will appear every other week.

Today‘s cryptoquote was by the singer Stevie Wonder: "If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love." What a nice tribute to mom. Lula Mae Hardaway helped her family out of poverty and wrote many songs with her son.

That's all for now. Two more days until the ACPT!

Signing off,
The Puzzlechick

No comments:

Post a Comment